Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Letterbox (continued from prior post), reader passes on a link from Carl. Old 16mm film celebrating end of WWII 1945 Honolulu (blog'n Richardson TX)

Received from a reader who credits Carl for sending her the link: 16mm restored film footage showing spontaneous celebrating upon the news that WWII was ending, August 14, 1945, Honolulu. Shared here with description and story behind it, by Richard J. Sullivan, his television, location scouting, and production web site here. He is obviously very talented. Thank you. This is heart touching footage and music.

One of the guys looks just like one of my uncles (long since passed away). I really miss him. He was always a jokester. He was the one I remember lifting me up just using his thumbs while I hung on for dear life. Later on, he had to get false teeth and he would scare us kids by popping them in and out of his mouth when we least expected it (of course, we begged him to do it). He had a drinking and chain smoking problem though that really got him (and the family). So did a lot of the people who came back from war. I have pictures of him and all my other family members in the military and otherwise with some of them reminding me of this film footage.