Sunday, May 30, 2010

To Dennis Stewart, from Maggie May.Thank you for the US Flag installation and deliveries. And I hope you dance.

Dennis, thank you for the Flag installation and the deliveries of the Flag this past year. I did not tell you this because I missed out on seeing you. You must have personally installed a hugh chunk of all the Flags, hundreds of U.S. Flag holders and several thousand U.S. Flag deliveries over the last years covering the various Flag events and holidays. Thank you and thank you for starting the program too, and also thanks to Jay Dalehite, CCHA, Scouts, Rotary, the whole team.

Three sets of things have been on my mind to say for a while now besides the above. Do not take offense by what I am about to say next, I just want to say it to you first before I say the rest, so it will be known where I am coming from. I want you and everyone to consider accepting people as they are, such as gay people, people from other religions, or no organized religion, different ethnicities, cultures, faiths, etc. etc. etc., as long as they are honestly trying to follow the golden rule or get right with it, as one person put it, not that you are not already accepting of people as they are born or are. And by this, I am not saying to accept bad actors, bad habits or take it when people stick a boot in your face multiple times.

The second thing I want to say to you is I like you and it is not just because you are patriotically symbolically one of the most human (the word that came to mind is real, but I didn't want to use that word about now because it has been abused recently) people I see in Richardson, Texas. Oh, you got swagger and bravado, in spades. Your heart is real. That's what I'm talking about. I'm just saying.

The third set of things has already been said in one of the best written modern songs around. It is by Texas native Lee Ann Womack. I am sending the words and video for you. I hope you will see and hear them. And, when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.

Maggie May



(If video does not load when you press the button,
please try reloading the page and give it another try.
Alternate location for video is
here).

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes
I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance