Thursday, July 22, 2010

If you can find all that money in the budget to freeze people's taxes, Mr. Omar, then why don't you just make it lower for EVERYONE in Richardson, TX


Well, like I told you, the senior tax freeze battle was on its way and here it is.

It's not surprising that Mr. Solomon won't say his position. I already told you about that. I predict he will be the next mayor (but not if Mr. Omar can pull it off). Bad PR is still PR. Maybe he can win the precinct (neighborhood vote) in which he lives next time.

I'm glad to see Mr. Macy has flip flopped and gone in with the others who oppose freezing taxes for some but not others. That just may be a signal that he's not going for another term and has someone picked out and is championing and wheeling and dealing (maybe someone near and dear who got a city contract, eh?). Either way, we know he will keep his finger in the pot.

It is definitely no surprise that Mr. Slagel, true to form, is slyly not stating a (today) position because he needs to not come across as throwing Mr. Omar under the bus because they need each other, big time right now. (And, don't forget about the history legacy project. "He'll go down in hissstoorrrryyy.")

I have no doubt that Mr. Omar's plan will make sense for a select group who he has to retain and who he pandered to big time, but again, if all that bling, I mean tax payers' money, can be found to freeze or exempt taxes for one group, it should be spread around to all of us. Some of us are getting real tired of subsidizing others against our wishes to such a level. We've already had to subsidize all the forever and increasing exemptions and all the school tax freezing. This is when we and our families and relatives can no better afford it than those getting the exemptions and freezes. It just isn't right.

Exemptions and freezes are never "revenue neutral," Mr. Omar. That is just not so. They have consequences. They distort, for better or worse. Why would you freeze someone's taxes, say Mr. Chuck Eisemann's or Ms. Jerri Leftwich's or Mr. John Tanner (who all helped to raise taxes in Richardson) but charge it to me and my neighbor. I realise you have not been owning real property and experiencing the paying of real property taxes in Richardson all these years and have a spankin position, but gosh. Oh, maybe I do get the two other reasons you are doing this.

And no, before you complain, the reason I have no problem taking swings at him and people like him who threw punches left and right is I just disagree with him on this issue, and other issues, and because they threw the punches first, mercilessly and needlessly, and made personal attacks. And they do not make amends. That reminds me of when one woman bought into his race and religion baiting. So, she walked up to this other guy and says, "oh, how could you!" Like with the Stef Carter/Murphy Turner baiting business, as in no, I've never thought Mr. Omar was a janitor, or religious cleric for that matter, or elephant trainer. And, I also liked him until I saw and heard his under belly first hand.

I do find it amusing not that Mr. Omar is chiding staff (after spending hours of their/our time, and his) and also that he is getting a taste of the medicine that if CM and Mr. Mayor and whoever has his coat tail (city resources) at the moment don't really want a proposal being heard in public that much, they try to strongly disuade it by stonewalling and ignoring. You couldn't get away with that to such a degree on some councils because they have council operating rules. I'll give Mr. Omar a clap for pushing his political (save Omar who made promises) agenda, with no style points this time. It just might pay off for him, but I hope this particular promise he is pushing does not come to be.